Spotting after a skipped cycle is a common concern. Here is a question we answered for Pamela.
Hello there! I would like to thank you for creating this website because I had no clue what spotting was till yesterday. The last time I got my period was on April 20. My period skipped last month and I know it was because of stress. Yesterday I noticed some spotting, but it was only a one-time occurrence. Does this mean I am ovulating and I will definitely receive my period in about 2 weeks? Please help!
Possibility 1: You are correct in your assumption about getting your period in the next 2 weeks if your body is truly on that cycle. My concern is that you missed a cycle and I would wonder if you have cyst or cysts on one of your ovaries. Stress can keep the body from ovulating for sure but that is because it depletes the body of Vitamin B6. It is not usually the first reason to look at why someone has not ovulated. Has this happened before? Often times women will skip a cycle every so often because that ovary is not functioning as regularly.
One Guess: Assuming you skipped a cycle that would have begun around the 18th of May to start and therefore the 28 – 31 to ovulate, it makes sense that it could be implantation spotting around the 9th of June when you wrote. If it is implantation spotting you can take your temps from here on and be prepared with some pregnancy tests in about a week.
- Do you use fertility charting methods? You can read about them on our site.
- Have you considered that you might be pregnant? Taken any pregnancy test? Any symptoms of pregnancy?
- Are you trying to conceive? Do you normally monitor signals?
- Do you have a history of skipping periods?
- How old are you? Could you be peri-menopausal?
- Have your cycles recently become shorter? If so then you could be actually in the middle of a long cycle when two combines. First cycles get shorter and then ovulation is missed and a cycle appears longer or missed.
- Lastly, have you thought about what you hope the answer might be? This is one to consider.
Always feel free to dialog about this with our comments box.