Table of Contents
- 1 Understanding Essential Oils for Fertility
- 2 What Are Essential Oils?
- 3 What Essential Oils Are Good For Fertility?
- 4 Essential Oils to Avoid While Trying to Conceive
- 5 How to Use Essential Oils for Fertility?
Understanding Essential Oils for Fertility
Herbal science has advanced rapidly in the last decade and among many of the refined products from this branch of science, essential oils for fertility have also significantly evolved. Reproduction and continuity of the species are one of the basic instincts of human beings and essential oils are available to aid in that process. The following brief will help you in understanding the basics of how to use essential oils for fertility and exactly where to apply essential oils for fertility in order to get the optimum results.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils for fertility are extracted from parts of the plants such as stems, flower petals and leaves. When these oils are extracted, they bring along with them a certain quality of the plant which is usually in the form of the aroma of that plant.
Essential oil extracts are very rich in their composition; therefore, absorption by digestion is not the answer to the question ‘how do essential oils work for fertility?’ It is a custom to apply these oils on the skin for the body to take up beneficial components of the oil through absorption, but experts believe that it is better to dilute these oils with a carrier oil for better absorption through the skin or through nasal ingestion.
Once essential oils are taken up by the body, the following results answer the question ‘how do essential oils work for fertility?’
- Hormonal imbalance – Essential oils help the body in maintaining a balance of sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone with daily aromatherapy of thyme and sage (clary).
- Reduces stress – Lavender extracts in oil form are ideal for reducing stress and bringing about a calming sensation by reducing the levels of cortisol in the body. Aromatherapy of essential lavender oil once a day can significantly reduce the effects of stress on the body, thereby boosting virility.
- Supports gut flora – Essential oils can be helpful in gut conditions especially when the stomach is upset. Peppermint oil extracts when taken orally can be instantly beneficial in such conditions as it helps promote gut bacterial flora.
- Reduces cellular toxicity – Essential oils reduce the toxic load on individual cells in reproductive systems which eventually help women in conceiving.
What Essential Oils Are Good For Fertility?
There are a large variety of essential oils and not one of them, in particular, is only for fertility. Usually, these oils are rich in extracts that have multiple benefits including fertility. These oils help in improving the fertility of individuals by various methods such as reducing stress, balancing hormones, improving relaxation of mind and body, improving the sleep cycle, and reducing mood swings. The following oils are best known for their effects that promote fertility in human beings:
1. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Essential oils extracted from sandalwood are equally beneficial for fertility in both sexes. There has been no credible study to support this claim but it has been quoted by experts again and again that this oil helps in stabilizing the level of testosterone in men, which means improved odds of fertility. It has also been reported to increase libido in women as it plays the role of an aphrodisiac.
2. Clary Sage Essential Oil
According to a study conducted in 2017, clary sage essential oil helps in reducing the imbalance of estrogen which is the leading cause of infertility in women. A balanced level of estrogen hormone in the body is necessary for successfully conceiving. Experts also caution that the use of clary sage essential oil should be immediately stopped once an embryo has been conceived as it may lead to early contractions onset and loss of pregnancy. The best way for this oil uptake by the body is via the skin by massaging it onto the skin.
3. Geranium Essential Oil
A recent study has shed light on the effects of geranium essential oil in promoting estrogen in the body, meanwhile regulating moods and reducing anxiety in the body. This promotes fertility by maintaining the estrogen level necessary for conception while tackling the stress and mood swings that may affect the body negatively during the process of conception.
4. Ylang-ylang Oil
A study conducted in 2014 regarding the effects of ylang-ylang essential oil has shown that it helps in gaining self-confidence and boosts self-esteem, as it has euphoric effects on the human mind. As an aphrodisiac, it can also help in reducing pain during menstruation for women.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
A recent study carried out to study the effects of peppermint essential oil in reducing endometriosis in women, which may cause infertility in most women, has shown that this oil significantly helps in endometriosis and therefore promotes conception and also helps with morning sickness during pregnancy.
6. Citrus Essential Oil
Citrus essential oils have been proven by a study in 2015 to reduce anxiety and boost mood in women. Both of these effects help in promoting fertility in women, and a chance of better conception is also ensured.
7. Lavender Essential Oil
Experts have reported a study in 2016 regarding the role of lavender essential oil in lowering the cortisol levels in the body. This essential oil, therefore, helps the body to relax and promotes a better sleep cycle of the body when it is in a relaxed state.
Essential Oils to Avoid While Trying to Conceive
While we have discussed the beneficial effects of essential oils, it is very important to know what essential oils are good for fertility or for health in general. Just because something is extracted from a natural source does not mean that it is safe for consumption by human beings. It may be toxic for the human body and it may have harmful effects on the body
It is important to know that not all essential oils are beneficial for all living things, including pets and others around you, and you must stop therapy with essential oil if you experience toxic effects, allergic reaction, contraction of the uterus, etc. Essential oils extracted from birch, aniseed, rosemary, basil, and ginger, must be avoided at all cost during the phase when you are trying to conceive as it may have negative outcomes.
How to Use Essential Oils for Fertility?
After receiving sufficient knowledge about how essential oils work in promoting fertility in humans, it is important to know where to apply essential oils for fertility. There are a few ways in which they can be used and applied:
- Ingestion – some oils that have a positive effect on the gut and which are favorable in their flavor can be ingested orally. Other oils cannot be ingested as they are hard to digest.
- Aromatherapy – the most effective and common method of essential oil therapy. Usually, oil is taken in a cup or in a palm, and then the aroma from the oil is inhaled.
- Topical massage – an effective means of essential oil delivery into the body via massaging on the skin. A few drops of the essential oil are taken on the palm and gently massaged onto the skin for effective uptake of the active ingredients.