One of my favorite things to eat, pregnant or not, is chicken walnut cranberry salad. Great for fertility! I was introduced to this yummy salad at Wendy’s at a time when it was harder for me to make a choice for salad instead of the single with cheese and fries. Now I make it at home as a lighter summer meal and when my girlfriends come for bible study or movie night. (Often a Bollywood movie and salad night)
Simple yet very yummy. Give it a few minutes and it will stick to your ribs, so you don’t feel like you are missing anything. A nice crusty piece of whole wheat bread dipped in olive oil and roasted garlic might round it out for you too.
I am used to cooking for 7 now but I will try to bring this down to 2 and I have to admit I am a throw-it in-by-the-handful-or-sprinkle kind of cook. I’m not one to measure but I’ll give you the best amounts that I can. Use organic whenever possible, especially greens and free range chicken too.
- Two cups of spring mix. This is non-negotiable because it is where we are getting the lovely greens you need for baby.
- 1 cup of romaine – darker the better – cut in very small pieces to mix well with the spring mix
- 1 chicken breast that has been simmered for about 30 minutes in water or low sodium chicken broth – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 small green and 1 small red apple in small chunks. Leave on the skin for fiber when possible but cut off the top well area and the bottom completely. This is where the pesticides well up.
- 1 handful chopped pecans or walnuts. Sunflower seeds will work well also, if you like them, but a chunkier nut is best.
- 1/3 cup of cranberries – more if you like but you are adding a high sugar ingredient here.
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup feta cheese. (blue cheese or Gorgonzola work well also) If you are giving up dairy then use an herb goat cheese. They are actually very tasty now and is almost identical to human milk. Goat’s milk is also very high in B6 which is great for pregnancy and beyond.
- 1/3 cup of low fat red raspberry vinaigrette dressing. Look for one that has real sugar in it – not high fructose and not splenda etc.
Toss it all together and let sit for a few minutes and enjoy. See how to make the roasted garlic oil for the bread.