The difference between black spotting and brown spotting can be the difference in the amount more than anything. Both are darker than pink or red in color which mean that they have been exposed to oxygen longer than the new red blood. That means that black and brown are usually old blood.
It can also mean that you have an infection or that you are having/had a miscarriage or popped/burst cysts and the blood associated has not quickly left the body.
I have “seen” over the years that brown spotting is usually encased in more mucus and in smaller amounts. Please note that I said usually. It makes sense because the black spotting is more concentrated blood and that is why it is so dark.
When you spot is just as important. The darker the blood before a period when TTC can almost always be seen as a danger warning. This is always a reason for natural progesterone cream so be watchful. (I recommend to everyone in TTC to have it available.) Too often it is a sign of possible impending miscarriage.
A little pink twinge of blood most would call normal but again is common; not necessarily normal. The danger would be in more blood in these cases since the more blood the more chance that a miscarriage is happening.
For those who are experiencing black blood AFTER a period. That is different. It is still the same reason for the color; too long of exposure but could be other things.
A viral lesion is another possibility. Black blood can mean an infection from a herpes viral lesion. It would cause steady black blood even after your period is over because it is not from the shedding of the lining. Consider having yourself checked if you have reason to wonder.
Last but not least, it could be that your blood is not all coming out. It is not healthy to have old blood in your body regularly. Makes sense right? You may need to help your uterus to contract better in order to allow a full shedding of the monthly blood. This is often the case with black spotting after a period or brown spotting after a period.
Supplements and suggestions:
- Consider evening primrose oil or borage oil to help the uterus contract better.
- Consider progesterone cream at Beyond Fertility Shop if you have miscarriage concerns.
- Consider Dong Quai for clearly stagnant blood, to purify.
- And or Liquid Bentonite Clay to draw out the “sludge” in your body. (It sounds gross but is tasteless. You just put it in a smoothy or juice.)
- Lastly, consider that you may have an ongoing infection in your body and fight infection with colloidal silver or more greens. Even a green drink supplement by capsules or pills if you feel you can not use a powdered drink mix. Super Immune Booster is a great option as it is a powerful combination of immune-boosting herbs.
Use the comment form below to ask us more specifics if you would like. Reasons for spotting is a popular subject at Beyond Fertility and we are here to help.