Copyright by Rose Smith
Baby cribs are usually one of the first furniture choices a parent makes when choosing their nursery furniture. This is an important decision, as you want to make sure the baby crib that you chooseis safe, secure and comfortable. [WIDGET1]Take your time in making this important decision. Remember that your newborn will be sleeping in this bed until the age of 2 or 3.
There are many choices in baby crib design. When choosing a crib, look at safety features, ease of use, style, finish and quality of the baby product. One of the things to watch out for is carved out head and/or foot boards or other decorative additions, as your child could get his or her arm or head caught within these types of designs.
**Style Designs for Baby Cribs:**
Standard Cribs – Most cribs come with two options: a single drop down crib side or double drop sides.
Convertible Cribs – Slightly more expensive that a standard crib, convertible baby cribs are able to convert to toddler beds, when your child becomes older. They are a good choice for those on a tight budget, as it will save you from having to buy a full size bed in a couple of years.
Round Cribs – These have become very popular over the last few years. Round cribs are exactly that – round. Beautiful, yet practical, they’re great for use in small spaces or for a unique nursery dÃ©cor touch.
Portable Cribs – If you tend to travel a lot with children or if your child will often be sleeping over at the grandparent’s place, these cribs offer excellent ease and flexibility. These baby cribs collapse so they are easy to transport and come complete with a mattress..
**Important Safety Guidelines**
When comparing baby cribs prior to purchase, keep these important safety features and guidelines in mind:
* Crib slats should be no wider than 2 3/8″ apart.
* Dropped sides should sit at least 9″ above the mattress. Be sure the drop sides have a secure locking mechanism as well.
* Raised sides should be at least 26″ above the mattress.
* Make sure the baby crib comes with sturdy mattress support. As a side note: metal supports are stronger than wooden supports.
* You should be able to adjust the mattress height easily. As your child grows, you will need to drop the mattress lower.
* Rolling casters must have wheel locks.
* A teething rail should be included or bought to place along the baby crib railings to prevent babies from teething on the wood and paint.
* Make sure there are no lacquers or paint thinners applied to the wood.
* Check for stability and quality in construction.
Following the above recommendations should help you in choosing a baby crib that is well designed, safe and comfortable for your new baby. As a last reminder, remember to send in your Product Registration Card for all your baby products in case of a product recall, so he manufacturer will be able to contact you.
Rose Smith is the author.
The #1 Reason for Spotting:
Hormonal imbalance due to low progesterone.
Don't take chances with the baby you work so hard for.
See our list of top progesterone creams.
We've been there and we know how you feel right now.